Monday, February 13, 2012

Cumin Pasta with Turkey, Black Bean, and Corn Sauce

As I mentioned in a prior post, I wanted to try my hand at cumin pasta after I had a really wonderful meal and Gravity Bar and Grill. In all, I'd say it was a huge success! The sauce portion of the recipe isn't very specific when it comes to the seasonings because (a) we don't measure a lot when it comes to spices, and (b) V did most of it! I've been forcing V to do a lot more of the cooking as he was commenting not too long ago that he thinks he knows a lot of concepts but isn't sure about the execution. Well, the boy's got skills! I can just add this to the long list of reasons I'm glad I'm married to him!


Pasta
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C white flour
1 T roasted Cumin
1 t Red Pepper
1/4 t salt
2 large eggs
1 T water

Sauce
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, also diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 package ground turkey
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn
Salt
Black pepper
Chili powder
Paprika
Cumin
Red pepper
Oregano
Chipotle Tobasco

Instructions
Place whole wheat flour, white flour, spices, eggs, water, and salt in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater. Turn to speed 2 and mix 30 seconds.

Exchange flat beater for dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and knead 2 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 1-2 minutes. Divide dough into four pieces and let rest before processing with pasta sheet roller attachment. Roll and cut pasta (keep in mind you probably won't get it as thin as white flour only pasta!).

In a large sauce pan, cook the onion, red pepper, and garlic until they start to turn translucent. Add the turkey, and cook until brown. Next, add the tomatoes, black beans, and corn, and season to taste. I like to then let the sauce simmer while I cook the pasta.

Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water. I only managed to get my pasta to a 4 on my Kitchenaid attachment before the wheat flour started giving me trouble, so I had to cook the pasta for about 9 - 10 minutes.

The dish I had at Gravity was very cheesy, almost like a mac and cheese, I'm guessing with Velveeta. We happened to have some hanging out in our fridge, so I grated a little bit of it to put on the pasta. It turned out to be just the right amount to give it a silky smooth cheesy taste without making the dish too heavy. In all, I think the dish turned out to be pretty close to the one I loved at Gravity, but was a bit more of an "everyday" kind of meal. This one is definitely a keeper!

No comments: